Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Black Bean Chili and Corn Bread Muffins

I still had some black beans from this weeks big batch to use up and decided to make some chili. I know it is not really chili weather, but the monsoon storms have kept the temperatures nice and mild here. I took advantage of one of those stormy nights to whip this one up. Ever since my sister sent me some silicone mini-muffin pans, I love making all kinds of muffins in them. I love to just walk by and grab a mouthful:) Unfortunately I probably eat a lot more that way, actually not probably....definitely:)


Black Bean Chili

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups of cooked black beans
  • 1 can petite chopped tomatoes
  • 1 T Cajun seasoning
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 4 oz can of green chili
  • 1/2 chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 pound ground beef

Directions: Saute onion and bell pepper in olive oil until tender. Add meat and cook. Depending on the % of fat your meat has, you may want to drain off some excess fat. When you have finished cooking the meat add green chili, beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Cook until hot. Serve with cheese, sour cream, cilantro and corn bread muffins.

I used fresh roasted green chili that I pulsed a few times in my food processor. I also added one fresh tomato that needed to be used from the garden.

For the Cajun season I mix up the following: 1/4 c salt, 3 T garlic powder, 3 T fresh ground black pepper, 1/4 t cayenne pepper, 1 T paprika. I put this in a jar and use it for all kinds of things.

Mini Corn Bread Muffins

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c corn meal
  • 1/2 c flour
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 2 T sugar
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 2 T canola oil

Directions: Mix dry ingredients together. Beat egg slightly, add milk and oil. Combine with dry ingredients, stirring only until moist. Spoon batter into mini muffin pans. Bake at 425 for approx. 10 minutes(adjust time if making regular size muffins).

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm makes me want to go home and make chili. Maybe I should get these ingredients together for our camping trip this weekend. That would be a good dinner in the cold night air in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love chili anytime of year. This dish looks delicious, as well as all of your other recipes! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are seriously making all of the food that I love to eat. That looks so good.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!