Monday, August 25, 2008

Mississippi Mud Cake

I needed to take a dessert to the Scouting Roundtable Opening Social the other night and thought, who doesn't LOVE marshmallows, brownies and chocolate frosting? These brownies are SO yummy!! Unfortunately my camera battery was low and my pictures just don't do justice to this dish!! I got this recipe from a 'free recipe card' that I got in the mail from Gooseberry Patch Country Cooking Recipe Collection. You've got to try this one:)


I like to put the brownies under the broiler after topping them with the marshmallows until they start to toast up a bit. Gives them a roasted marshmallow look and taste. I make them both ways, toasted and not. If you do put them under the broiler, watch them very carefully they toast up REALLY fast and you'd hate to burn them!!



Mississippi Mud Cake

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. baking cocoa
  • 1 c. butter or margarine, melted
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 2 c. mini marshmallows
  • 1/4 c. butter or margarine
  • 1/3 c. baking cocoa
  • 2/3 milk
  • 16 oz. box powdered sugar, sifted

Directions: Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add melted butter, eggs and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Spread batter into a greased 13"x9" pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle hot cake with mini marshmallows.

Combine 1/4 cup butter, 1/3 cup baking cocoa and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, and boil one minute. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar. Immediately pour chocolate mixture over marshmallows. Let cake cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Makes 15 servings.

You can substitute a 19.8 oz package of brownie mix for the cake batter. Prepare mix according to package directions and spoon into 13" x 9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes and proceed as directed in recipe.

I usually have extra frosting that I save for a treat with crackers for the kiddos:)

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. A super sweet treat! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! That looks divine!! :)

    http://day2daywithhollyj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I have on my birthday every year, with from scratch brownies-although I think you definitely made the right choice for the scouts. My husband is over the 11 year old scouts and they love treats. I feel morally obliged to unload pounds and pounds of sugar on those twiggy little boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...that looks so good!! We would love those here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMYGOODNESS, I am loving your site that Mississippi Mud Cake looks like i could dive right in. Yummo. I am adding you to my blog roll. I found your blog though Day 2 day with Holly J.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!