Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Wheatberry Bread

This recipe is adapted from a recipe(Honey Wheatberry Bread) that I got from, A Year in Bread. They have some WONDERFUL looking bread on their site and I can't wait to try more! The recipe posted below is with my modifications. To see the original recipe go to A Year in Bread.

A friend of mine helped me make this and we used her silicone bread pans. I LOVE them!! They are a little larger than my pans(8x4), they measured 9.25x5.25. I really like the larger loaf and they popped right out of the pan with no cooking spray!! We placed the pans on a baking sheet to let the dough rise and also to cook so that we didn't disturb the dough.

Sorry these are not great pictures! I am really going to work on my photography skills this year:) I cut into the bread right out of the oven(couldn't wait to taste it), it would have been a prettier picture of the 'inside' if I could have waited a little longer.



Wheatberry Bread

Ingredients:

  • ~4 1/2 cups of water, total
  • 3/4 cup wheatberries
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 T instant yeast
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 5-6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 T salt

Directions: Soak wheatberries in 3 cups of water for one hour. After an hour, leave the wheatberries covered and cook on medium heat until the wheatberries are soft and are popping open. Let cool. Puree in the blender until desired consistency, you may need to add a little more water.

In the bowl of your mixer, combine the pureed wheatberries. 1 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, whole wheat flour, and brown sugar. Stir together, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Next add the melted butter and enough flour for the dough to begin pulling away from the bowl. Let this sit for another 10 minutes. Then add salt and enough flour to form a soft, slightly sticky dough. Knead in your mixer or by hand for about 5 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn and cover with plastic wrap, then towel until doubled, about 1 hour. Divide into two loaves and place in loaf pans, cover. Let rise until doubled again. Bake at 375 for ~45 minutes. I like to put my loaves in the oven while it is cold and let them continue to rise as the oven heats up.

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I plan to make this tomorrow! I do have one question tho. Do you drain the water after you cook the soaked wheatberries? Or does it all get blended in? Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!