Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Red Enchilada Sauce

I know I've posted about bean and cheese burros with red sauce before. Here is the recipe for red sauce that we use. It is adapted from a recipe that came from my uncle(Thanks Kurt and thanks Nicole for sending it to me:)).

If I was only making this for myself and my husband, I would add some cayenne. The kids don't like it as hot so, I stick with only chili powder. I usually sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on top of my husband's burrito.

We really love this meal it is cheap and easy! I cook one pound of beans in the crock pot and then add the beans, cheese, some chili powder, garlic powder, onion salt and jalapeno to the food processor and blend away. Then the beans are all ready to spread on the tortillas and roll them up.


Check out the burrito in the top part of this top picture. Almost every time I make tortillas, I forget about the last one, leaving it to cook on the griddle until crisp. It is hard to get a crispy tortilla to roll nicely around the beans.



Red Enchilada Sauce


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 T flour
  • 6 T chili powder (I used 3 T reg. chili powder and 3 T pasilla de ancho powder)
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, pureed in blender or food processor until smooth
  • 1 (14 oz) can of chicken broth (or just under two cups)
  • 1 t ground cumin
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 1 t onion salt

Directions: Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium, cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning the flour. Gradually stir in pureed tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices into flour and chili powder until smooth. Continue cooking over medium heat approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt.

**This makes a large batch. I used it to make a 9" x 13" pan of bean burros with red sauce and had 1 pint left over. The sauce is so yummy and really good mixed in with the pureed beans and served as a bean dip.

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, thanks for throwing that enchilada craving!

    Thanks for adding us as a friend on Foodbuzz. We welcome you to come visit our site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM!!! I made this red sauce last night and it was DELICIOUS!!
    Can you give a little more insight to the portions of spices and cheese you add to your beans? I would love to make them cuz they look DELISH but I hate guessing how much I should add.
    THANKS!
    Kali (Terry) Field

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kali, I'm glad you enjoyed the sauce! I usually just toss the spices into the beans when I make them. Next time I make them I will actually measure how much of everything that I put in and post it here. It will be soon! I make beans at least once a week:)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!! I can't wait I really want to try them. THANKS AMY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sauce was a HUGE hit at my house - next time I'm making a double batch - we loved it that much!!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!