Monday, July 6, 2009

Caramelized Onion, Walnut and Cilantro Chicken Salad Sandwich

I found this recipe at bhg.com. It is SO yummy!! You could use any left-over chicken, just shred or chop it . I used some canned chicken that I bottled a couple of months ago. The entire family loved this sandwich!! I can't wait to make it again.




Caramelized Onion, Walnut and Cilantro Chicken Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 cup chopped sweet onion (1 large)
  • 2 cups Shredded Chicken
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onion (2)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp. lime juice
  • Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
  • 10 slices sourdough bread, toasted (I used leftover oatmeal bread)
  • 10 slices tomato
  • 3/4 cup baby spinach leaves
  • Pimiento-stuffed green olives (optional for garnish, I didn't use)

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes more or until golden.

2. In a large bowl, combine onion, chicken, walnuts, and green onion. Add mayonnaise, cilantro, and lime juice; toss to coat. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Place about 1/2 cup chicken salad on each of five bread slices. Top each with two slices tomato and some of the spinach. Top sandwiches with the remaining bread slices. If desired, secure each sandwich with a skewer and garnish with an olive. Makes 5 servings.

Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. This could quite possibly be the best sandwich ever made...
    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so good!!! I'm always looking for a variation on the standard old sandwich. This looks like it will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really tasty! I love chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooo good! I love anything with cilantro in it! YUMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, looks like you can do many things in one pot - toast your walnuts, cook your chicken, and then caramelize your onions!!! Can't get any easier than that! Cilantro is my favorite - I can't wait to give this a try!!! Thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmmm! I've copied it to try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello, I in love about this. My family is glad to have me, because, they need someone to cook well like me, and this blog help me a lot to learn new things and ways to prepare everything. I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!