Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Canned Stew

Remember awhile ago, I told you about this great deal on a pressure cooker from Amazon? Well, it is still only $239.00. I ordered mine and received free shipping and received it within only a couple of days. I have used it once and I LOVE it.



I canned 14 quarts of canned stew. I got the recipe here. It is SO yummy! We have already eaten 4 quarts. I open 2 quarts and add 1 pint of chicken that I canned awhile ago. I also add about 1/2-1 pint of water. It is SO nice to have a quick, simple and delicious meal on hand when I am in a hurry. The two quarts of stew will feed my family of 2 adults and 4 kids for dinner with enough for lunch(for my husband) the next day. You can add cooked chicken, canned chicken or beef...or just eat as is. Rachel's bottles of stew look so much better than mine. I peeled and sliced my potatoes with my food processor, but next time I think I will do what she did....scrub and dice the potatoes.


Canned Stew
Ingredients:
  • carrots
  • potatoes
  • onions
  • celery
  • 1 T Pearl Barley (per quart)
  • 1 T Parsley (per quart) (I used dried parsley)
  • 1 T Bouillon (beef or chicken) (per quart)
  • 1/4 salt (optional - I used garlic salt) (per quart)
Directions: In large bowls --- cut, chop or slice the following: Potatoes, carrots, celery, onion (A food processor works great for the carrots and celery & don't forget to keep the potatoes covered with water so they don't brown). In a clean quart size canning jar add: pearl barley, parsley, bouillon, salt (optional). Then using a LARGE handful of each, add the following: onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes.Cover all ingredients with boiling water leaving 1 inch head space. Wipe rim with clean dish cloth, top with lid & ring then process in a Pressure Canner for 30 Minutes at 12 pounds of pressure.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Your stew looks fantastic-and so pretty in the jar!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your stew looks very nice... It looks more like a soup to me, but I suppose yos could add two cans of Chicken broth plus Campbells Cream of Chicken soup and some chicken bouillon powder and even a tsp or 2 of chili powder to spice things up. Also add Mrs. Dash original and some Spicy Mrs. Dash or Emmreil Original or Cajun seasoning. Also add a can of drained Rotell chilies and tomatoes and some chopped green peppers, celery and onion, plus some chicken. This is the recipe for my Spicy Cream of Chicken Soup.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!