Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Yummy, Easy Whole Wheat Bread

I got spoiled for Mother's Day and my birthday this year. My husband and boys gave me a Bosch and a Nutrimill(I LOVE them!!). This recipe is the second I tried for whole wheat bread. It is SO yummy! This bread is SO light and delicious!! I found this recipe at The Sisters Cafe.


Yummy, Easy Whole Wheat Bread
(5 medium loaves)

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups hot tap water (helps offset the cool can of milk)
  • 1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
  • 3 T instant yeast (like SAF)
  • 2/3 cup oil1 cup honey (use the same measuring glass as the oil and the honey slide right out)
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 3 T vital wheat gluten
  • 2 T dough enhancer (this is optional--I used it)
  • 12 cups whole wheat flour (approx 8c wheat berries= 12 c flour)
  • 1 1/2 T salt

Directions: Grind your wheat (in your electric wheat grinder) while getting everything else ready. Then, using a Bosch or other heavy duty mixer, combine ingredients in the order given, mixing well after half the flour, then add the other half of flour and salt. Add a little extra white flour as needed if dough is too sticky. Knead in mixer for 8 minutes. Dump out dough, pour a little oil on your counter top and spread with your hand. Form into a long log, then divide into 5 loaves. Form each loaf into a log shape and place in medium sized nonstick bread pan. Press down the sides of each dough piece to fill the bottom of the pan, leaving the top round and smooth. Let rise in a warm spot until almost desired bread size. (about 1 hour). Bake in preheated 350 oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven to wire racks and brush tops of hot loaves with butter, if desired. Let cool about 10 minutes, then remove from pans and let cool completely before slicing.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. What is dough enhancer? I have never heard of this before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just recently gotten into making my own bread from scratch. While most of my friends think that I am crazy, I like the fact that I can control the ingredients and know that I am feeding my family something delicious and unprocessed. I work with Better Recipes so I am always searching for something new. I really like this recipe for whole wheat bread, it is simple Bread Recipe but I think it is a good foundation that could be adapted into a variety of different whole wheat breads.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS for visiting!!