Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Raspberry Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting

I've posted about these rolls before, but thought I'd do an updated post with a few more pictures.  I LOVE these rolls!!  A few years ago my sister bought me a raspberry roll from Old Grist Mill Bread Company in Utah.  It was SO delicious!!  I couldn't wait to make some similar rolls of my own.

I use my (2 loaf) bread recipe for the roll dough. 

After you mix your dough and let it rise until doubled,  Roll it out into a rectangle approximately 20 inches by 15 inches(I think mine was actually 16 inches).

Next, you will spread 3 Tablespoons of butter(melted) onto the dough.  Then you add the SEEDLESS raspberry jam on top of the butter.  You want to cover it leaving about 1 inch on the long edge you will be rolling the rolls to, so that you have a clean edge to 'pinch' the dough closed when you roll it.  A thin layer of jam will do, if you add too much jam it will be hard to keep your 'clean' edge clean when you start rolling.....does that make sense?  Now...roll your rectangle toward you...long edge toward long edge and 'seal' the edge.  I didn't get a picture of it rolled, but I'm sure you know what it should look like...a big log :)  Cut into 15 rolls ~3/4-1 inch thick.  Oops....I didn't measure very well and had one extra.  I was going to leave it out, but I just couldn't waste it.  So, do better than I did and cut 15 ;)  Cutting gets MESSY....I just collected any jam that came out as I was cutting and put it back on top of the rolls on the pan.

Place rolls onto a large baking sheet 3 x 5.  Let rise until doubled, 30-45 minutes. 

When the rolls have risen, place them into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.  Mine where in the oven for 28 minutes.

Baked and ready for some cream cheese frosting.


Raspberry Rolls

Ingredients:

Dough:
1 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 package yeast(2 1/4 teaspoon)
1/3 cup oil
1/2 T salt
1 egg
4-5 cups flour

Filling:
3 Tablespoons butter(melted)
Seedless raspberry jam

Frosting:
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
~1/4 cup evaporated milk (more or less depending on desired consistency)
1 pound powdered sugar.  

Directions:
In mixer combine yeast, sugar, and warm water; let grow until bubbly(about 5 minutes). Add milk and mix.  Slowly add 2 cups flour, mix and then add salt.  Mix in oil and egg.  Add 1/2 cup flour at a time until it comes away from side of bowl.  I continue to 'mix' my bread in my mixer(with bread hook or attachment) for 5-6 minutes to 'knead' it.  Let rise in mixing bowl, until doubled for about 30 minutes. 

Next, you will spread 3 Tablespoons of butter(melted) onto the dough.  Then you add the SEEDLESS raspberry jam on top of the butter, I use a rubber spatula to spread it.  You want to cover it leaving about 1 inch on the long edge you will be rolling the rolls to, so that you have a clean edge to 'pinch' the dough closed when you roll it.  A thin layer of jam will do, if you add too much jam it will be hard to keep your 'clean' edge clean when you start rolling.....does that make sense?  Now...roll your rectangle toward you...long edge toward long edge and 'seal' the edge.  I didn't get a picture of it rolled, but I'm sure you know what it should look like...a big log :)  Cut into 15 rolls ~3/4-1 inch thick.  Cutting gets MESSY....I just collected any jam that came out as I was cutting and put it back on top of the rolls on the pan.  Cover and allow rolls to rise until doubled 30-45 minutes(I cover mine with plastic wrap(sprayed with cooking spray) and then a tea towel).  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes

While the rolls are cooking, combine frosting ingredients and beat until smooth.

I like to frost my rolls soon after they come out of the oven, while still hot, so that the frosting seeps down into all of the layers.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANKS for visiting!!